Where is Guimarães
Guimarães is located in northwestern Portugal, about 50 km from the Oporto. Guimarães benefits from the proximity to the Oporto International Airport. It is used by the most important airlines, including low cost airlines. From the airport you can easily reach Guimarães either by private car, train or by GetBus (a direct shuttle from the airport to the city of Guimarães, 50 min/14,00 € two-way ticket).
What is Guimarães
Guimarães is known for being the cradle of nationality, given its history being associated with the foundation of nationality.
Historic Centre of Guimarães and UNESCO World Heritage
“The historic town of Guimarães is associated with the emergence of the Portuguese national identity in the 12th century. An exceptionally well-preserved and authentic example of the evolution of a medieval settlement into a modern town, its rich building typology exemplifies the specific development of Portuguese architecture from the 15th to 19th century through the consistent use of traditional building materials and techniques. “(Unesco Website) – (Unesco video)
For several reasons we chose Guimarães to receive FOSS4G-Europe:
- In 2012 it was chosen as the European Capital of Culture
- Existence of spaces with capacity for the event
- The spaces for the venue, conference, workshops, code sprint, hotels and restaurants are all within walking distance of each other
- It is well served by public transport, train (to/from Oporto and Lisbon), GetBus (a direct shuttle from the airport to the city of Guimarães)
- International Airport within 50 km (low cost car hire at aeroport)
- Moderate prices for stay, meals, ….